Laws & Regulations for a members club

The average members social club has to comply with a wide range of laws and regulations.

The following list of annual licences is not intended to be a comprehensive guide but are the licences usually held by a social club and encountered by Secretaries. The annual fee payable in respect of these licences can vary from £20 for a small lottery licence to many thousands for the PRS & PPL licence: –

  • Small Lottery Licence – see article
  • Performing Rights Society & Phonographic Performance Licence (PRS & PPL) – see article
  • TV licences
  • Financial Conduct Authority annual fee for Registered Societies and Friendly Societies
  • Data Protection Licence – see article
  • Rent Smart Wales – for clubs which rent residential property
  • Club Premises Certificate including Club Gaming Permit– see article

Not intended to be an exhaustive list but in addition to H M Revenue & Customs taxes such as Machines Games Duty (MGD) the club Secretary has to comply with and have systems in place to deal with a raft of regulations:

  • Equality Act 2010
  • Heath & Safety regulations
  • Fire risk assessments
  • General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR)
  • Employment law
  • Insurance covering public and employee liability